- Sheer: This type of shadow comes in a pressed powder form, and will appear sheer on the lid. It will add just a hint of the color but will not be bold.
- Matte: This type of shadow has no shimmer, sparkle, or metallic in it. It is just the plain color.
- Shimmer: This type of shadow is a color that also has shimmer, sparkle or metallic in it.
There are also many different kinds of shadow that can give you once of those three finishes. They include:
- Powder: The most common type of shadow used. Powder shadow comes pressed in a pan or pallet and stays firm in the pan until a finger or brush is used to pick up some of the powder
- Cream: A creamy substance, the color may be matte or shimmery. Cream eye shadow is commonly used as a base for powder or loose eye shadow.
- Baked shadow: Baked shadow is also pressed like a powder shadow, but it’s marbleized and baked in an oven. It can be used either dry or wet, and can sometimes have more than one color swirled in it.